General Addiction Resources
- Useful information for partners of alcoholics and drug addicts can be found at Addiction Treatment Magazine.
- Useful information on codependency can be found at www.nmha.org/go/codependency.
- Smartrecovery.org Self Help Alternative to 12 Step Meetings
- Adult Children of Alcoholics, 310-534-1815
- Al-Anon, 800-344-2666
- Alateen (ages 12 to 17), 800-356-9996
- Co-Dependents Anonymous, 602-277-7991
- Co-Dependents of Sex Addicts (COSA), 612-537-6904
- Families Anonymous, 310-815-8010
- Recovering Couples Anonymous, 314-997-9808
- S-Anon, 615-833-3152
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous http://www.na.org/
- Helpguide.org offers great information about compulsive gambling—what it is, how to recognize it, how it can be treated, and so on.
- Useful information and links on compulsive spending can be found at www.indiana.edu/~engs/hints/shop.html.
- Useful information on digital and online video game addiction can be found at www.video-game-addiction.org.
- A medical perspective on digital and online video game addiction can be found at www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/video-gameaddiction-no-fun.
- Useful information about all types of eating disorders can be found on the National Eating Disorders Association website.
- General information substance and mental health can be found on the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s website.
- General information on substance abuse can be found through the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence.
- General information on substance abuse can be found on the National Institute on Drug Abuse website.
- Legal Resources for Special Needs
- Keeping Disabled Persons Safe While Remodeling
- Creating a Home Where Your Disabled Child can Thrive
- Teacher Resources for Special Needs
- Disaster Preparedness for Special Needs
- Disability and Credit Scores
- Disability Resources from the Department of Labor
- Tips for Disabled Persons to Declutter and Organize their Home
- Financial Planning for Special Needs
Sex Addiction Resources
- Codependents Guide to the Twelve Steps by Melody Beatty
- Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself by Melody Beattie
- Open Hearts: Renewing Relationships with Recovery, Romance, and Reality by Dr. Patrick Carnes, Debra Laaser, and Mark Laaser
- Mending a Shattered Heart: A Guide for Partners of Sex Addicts by Dr. Stephanie Carnes
- A Couples Guide to Sexual Addiction: A Step-by-Step Plan to Rebuild Trust and Restore Intimacy by Paldrom Collins and George Collins
- Disclosing Secrets: An Addict’s Guide to What, to Whom, and How Much to Reveal by Dr. M. Deborah Corley and Dr. Jennifer Schneider
- Surviving Disclosure: A Partner’s Guide for Healing and the Betrayal of Intimate Trust by Dr. M. Deborah Corley and Dr. Jennifer Schneider
- For Love and Money: Exploring Sexual & Financial Betrayal in Relationships by Debra Kaplan
- Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes From, How It Sabotages Our Lives by Pia Mellody, Andrea Wells Miller, and J. Keith Miller
- Sex, Lies, and Forgiveness (3rd Edition) by Dr. Jennifer Schneider and Burt Schneider
- Facing Heartbreak: Steps to Recovery for Partners of Sex Addicts by Stephanie Carnes
- Intimate Treason: Healing the Trauma for Partners Confronting Sex Addiction by Claudia Black
- Back From Betrayal: Recovering from the Trauma of Infidelity
- Erotic Intelligence: Igniting Hot, Healthy Sex While in Recovery from Sex Addiction by Alexandra Katehakis
- Mirror of Intimacy: Daily Reflections on Emotional and Erotic Intelligence by Alexandra Katehakis
- 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies from Therapeutic Practice and Personal Experience by Carolyn Costin and Gwen Schubert Grabb
- A Billion Wicked Thoughts: What the Internet Tells Us About Sexual Relationships by Ogi Ogas and Sai Gaddam
- Alcoholics Anonymous (Anonymous)
- Bought Out and Spent! Recovery from Compulsive Shopping and Spending by Terrence Schulman
- Change Your Gambling, Change Your Life: Strategies for Managing Your Gambling and Improving Your Finances, Relationships, and Health by Dr. Howard Shaffer
- Coping With Trauma: Hope Through Understanding (2nd Edition) by Dr. Jon Allen
- Cyber Junkie: Escape the Gaming and Internet Trap by Kevin Roberts
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Dr. Brené Brown
- Facing Addiction: Starting Recovery from Alcohol and Drugs by Dr. Patrick Carnes, Dr. Stephanie Carnes, and Dr. John Bailey
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps: A Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery by Dr. Patrick Carnes
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Dr. Brené Brown
- Gripped by Gambling by Marilyn Lancelot
- Healing Your Hungry Heart: Recovering from Your Eating Disorder by Joanna Poppink
- Hooked on Games: The Lure and Cost of Video Game and Internet Addiction by Andrew Doan, Brooke Strickland, and Douglas Gentile
- I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t): Making the Journey from “What Will People Think?” to “I Am Enough” by Dr. Brené Brown
- Living Sober (Anonymous)
- Overcoming Your Pathological Gambling: Workbook by Robert Ladouceur and Stella Lachance
- Spent: Break the Buying Obsession and Discover Your True Worth by Dr. Sally Palaian
- To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop, and How to Stop by Dr. April Benson
- Treatment of Complex Trauma: A Sequenced, Relationship-Based Approach by Dr. Christine Courtois and Dr. Julian Ford
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (Anonymous)
- Twenty Four Hours a Day (Anonymous)
- A Woman’s Way through the Twelve Steps by Dr. Stephanie Covington
- Women & Shame: Reaching Out, Speaking Truths and Building Connection by Dr. Brené Brown
- American Red Cross - A multilingual site for help with recovering emotionally from disasters.
- HelpPRO Therapist Finder - Comprehensive listings of local therapists specializing in trauma and other concerns, serving specific age groups, accepting payment options and more.
- David Baldwin's Trauma Information Pages - Comprehensive information and resources.
- Post-Traumatic Gazette
- Sidran Foundation - includes Traumatic Memories Brochure and PsychTrauma Glossary.
- The CHiLD SURViVOR of Traumatic Stress - Electronic journal for professionals by Kenneth E. Fletcher, PhD.
- JimHopper.com- Info on the stages of recovery, recovered memories, and other issues.
- JBS Disability Services Center- Info on an educational tool to help build state-by-state and provider capacity to serve children and youth who have experienced trauma.
- Top 5 Mental Health Problems Facing College Students- Description of common mental health issues in early adulthood, along with resource links.
- Student Mental Health Guidebook- General overview of common mental health challenges facing college students, and links to resources.
- Suicide and Depression Awareness for Students- A guide to understanding and preventing suicide among students.
- Student Safety Guide - A safety guide including sexual assault for campus-based and online students.
- Sneaky teen texting codes: what they mean, when to worry
Non-Profit Trauma Organizations and Foundations
- Life is Good Foundation
- Boston Children's Foundation
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- International Society for the Study of Dissociation
- National Center for PTSD
- New England Society for the Treatment of Trauma and Dissociation (NESTTD)
- EMDR International Association
- The Sidran Foundation offers a referral list of professional therapists, as well as a fact sheet on how to choose a therapist for PTSD and dissociative disorders.
- National Institute of Mental Health, Anxiety Disorder Resources
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation
- Rescue Workers Online
- Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance (MOVA)
- Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime and Bureau of Justice Assistance - Human Trafficking Task Force e-Guide
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America offer a referral network of professional therapists and a self-help group network
- 1in6: An organization serving men sexually abused as children
- There & Back Again: Navigating Life After War
Youth Violence Prevention
- 24 Hour Runaway Safeline 1-800-786-2929
- 2"d Floor Youth Helpline 1-888-222-2228
- AI-Anon/Aiateen National Hotline 1-888-425-2666
- Covenant House 1-800-621-8705
- Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-572-7233
- Eating Disorders Helpline 1-800-931-2237
- Gambling Helpline 1-800-426-2537
- Girls & Boys Town National Hotline 1-800-448-3000
- Healing Space Sexual Violence Hotline 1-201-487-2227
- National STI Hotline 1-800-227-8922
- NJ211 Helpline 211
- NJ Addiction Services Hotline 1-844-276-2777
- NJ AIDS Hotline 1-800-624-2377
- NJ Child Abuse Hotline 1-877-NJ-ABUSE
- NJ Connect for Recovery 1-855-652-3737
- Planned Parenthood 1-201-489-1140
- Poison Control 1-800-222-1222
- Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-784-2433
Where To Go Online
Drug and Alcohol Information
STI and Intercourse Safety
Specific Trauma Topics and Treatments
- Dealing With Sexual Abuse - Aids for Professionals, Students, and Individuals, PublicHealth.org
- Recovered Memories of Sexual Abuse: Scientific Research & Scholarly Resources
- The Recovered Memory Project - Archive compiled by Ross Cheit at Brown University.
- Abuse, Memory, Science, Therapy, Ethics & Malpractice - Resources from Kenneth S. Pope, Ph.D.
- EMDR Institute - Information about this powerful brief treatment.
- Combat PTSD Medications Pamphlet - Jonathan Shay, M.D.
- Mental Health for Youth in Armed Conflict
Information and Support
- Traumatology - Electronic journal, edited by Charles Figley.
- PILOTS database at Dartmouth is a searchable database of the world's literature on post-traumatic stress disorder, produced by the National Center for PTSD.
- National Center for PTSD - includes links to the PTSD Research Quarterly and National Center Divisions, including Behavioral Science Division, Clinical Neurosciences Division, Pacific Islands Division, Women's Health Sciences Division, and Education and Clinical Laboratory Division.
- PubMed, including Advanced Search and Journal Browser
- Office for Victims of Crime in the Department of Justice - Provides a variety of resources for victims of crime in the United States and Internationally, including the National Directory of Victim Assistance Funding Opportunities 2001 (1MB pdf), which lists, by state and territory, the contact names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses for the federal grant programs that provide assistance to crime victims.
SUICIDE Prevention Resources
www.aasect.org The American Association of Sexuality educators, counsellors and therapists
ww.gentlepathpress.com Publishes multiple books, workbooks, and videos on sexual addiction and recovery.
www.iitap.com International Institute for Trauma & Addiction Professionals
www.safersociety.org website offering helpful information on sexual abuse
www.sash.net The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health.
- Comorbidity with Substance Abuse - http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/457178
- Schizophrenia and Addiction: The Guide to Unraveling Comorbidity and Finding the Path to Recovery - http://www.drugrehab.org/schizophrenia-addiction/
- Bipolar Disorder and Addiction - http://www.dualdiagnosis.org/bipolar-disorder-and-addiction/
- The Benefits of Exercise in Addiction Recovery - http://www.delrayrecoverycenter.com/12748/exercise-in-addiction-recovery/
- Swim Back to Health: The Guide to Aquatic Therapy for Recovering Addicts - http://www.intheswim.com/eGuides/guide-to-aquatic-therapy-recovering-addicts
- Making the Connection: Trauma and Substance Abuse - http://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/SAToolkit_1.pdf
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment - http://www.recovery.org/topics/ptsd-substance-abuse/
- How Service and Therapy Dogs are Helping PTSD Victims - https://www.rover.com/blog/ptsd-service-therapy-dogs/
- Meaningful Work and Recovery - http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/meaningful-work-and-recovery